Tuesday, October 27, 2009

AMP: A New Hope

In the process of creating something you've never seen, inspiration from things already in existence plays a big part.

In our quest to develop a unique design, Cory and I turned to those who had gone on before us. We turned to Star Wars. If you want a film that's chock full of robots/ droids, that's the one to look at (forget if they're clunky or not practical: they look cool). From that, we gleaned the pit droid. Small, lithe, agile (kinda), cute (very important), this was a good start. From there, we journeyed down the path of film history, and came to Monsters, Inc., and the short, green, rotund, one-eyed figure known as Mike Wazowski. With these designs to inspire me, I set off, shaving a little here, adding a little there, until I came to my next destination... a complete stop.

From the get-go, I realized that my mindset was in the wrong place. In terms of design, I was stuck on ergonomic, sleek designs from films such as I, Robot; Star Wars; Terminator, etc. However, my thinking wasn't right. I needed to approach this project from the understanding of a 12-year-old. How would a young boy design a robot? So, I asked my younger twin brothers, Jared and Jordan, if they would help me. I told them the design prerequisites set down by Cory, and Jordan gave me...







And Jared gave me...



Just what I needed.

All I had was my feeble effort...



The design below incorporates all the qualities with which we imparted to our seminal creation: cute, functional, sympathetic, and last but not least, animation compatible.



Don't worry, I think Cory is fixing up the shoulders so that he doesn't look like a gorilla. In reality, this last design in only a guideline for the animators to follow.

Along with this final concept, the design phase of the film has ended. In its place, like a phoenix from the fire, rises the task of thoroughly visualizing the film through the use of storyboards. Along with that, the animators will be working to bring the film to its complete and immaculate realization as a finished film.

Johnny Reighard

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These robots are GREAT! Really, really like them...

~ Samalah

Matthew Presley said...

Those are VERY good!